I'm now on my 3rd new MacBook Air (1st suffered creaking noises and the 2nd blew up in a puff of electrical smoke) and having just restored it from a TimeMachine backup, I thought it would be the right time to document how this was done when you're using a NAS running afpd as your backup storage. The NAS in question is a rooted Netgear Stora running a custom build of afpd configured to support OS X Lion login and TimeMachine.
- Restart and hold down option
- Select use Safari and open up this web page and remember the following steps
- Quit Safari, open up Terminal from the Utilities menu and run
- Mount the TimeMachine share
- Now run the following to mount the sparsebundle
- Quit Terminal
- Select restore and select TimeMachine drive, your TimeMachine backup should be visible